The Path Forward is Mountain View’s process of deliberate discussion and discernment as we seek to educate and inform our congregation and pray for the future direction of Mountain View.
The Mountain View Path Forward Committee has been very busy since our inception to keep our congregation updated with latest information regarding United Methodist Church (UMC) Disaffiliation process that would have impact on MV church. While we have continued to keep MV updated with the latest there have been several significant updates that we want to ensure the congregation is aware of. One of the largest impacts is the controversial decision by Bishop Sue Haupert-Johnson to pause the disaffiliation process for the North Georgia Conference. Below is the timeline of the events that have taken place since MV began the discernment process, where we are to date, and next steps:
- PF Committee with Council approval develops January calendar to include personal sharing and straw poll.
- December 28- Outgoing Bishop places a “pause” on the Disaffiliation process for the North Georgia conference citing inaccurate information being distributed. Pause to continue until Spring 2024 for next General Conference. This date eliminates options granted to churches in the Book of Discipline Paragraph 2553
- January 2023:
- New Bishop, Robin Dease is appointed replacing Bishop Sue Haupert-Johnson. Bishop Sue reassigned to Virginia conference.
- January 6-7 - PF Committee host a 24-hour prayer vigil to pray for Mountain View.
- Straw Poll (unofficial) conducted with 79.75% or members participating requested to Disaffiliate from the UMC. Straw Poll uses sample ballot approved by the UMC and requires that an individual be a member and present to vote.
- Mountain View submits formal letter to the DS requesting a formal Disaffiliation vote as outlined in paragraph 2553. This request is acknowledged and denied by the DS.
- MV Church Council and PF concur that MV should continue with existing calendar in case another sudden change occurs, following previous guidelines
- Wesleyan Covenant Association (WCA) and Global Methodist Church (GMC) meet to determine potential action steps to engage with the new Bishop.
- Attempts to schedule a meeting with the Bishop including several large UMC congregations are not accepted.
- WCA engages with NCLL (National Center for Life and Liberty) to assist North Georgia legal strategies. Website: ncll.org
- MV Church Council Chair and PF participate in call to hear about NCLL.
- MV Church Council votes to approve participating with other North Georgia churches thru the NCLL to hope to return voting right. This vote authorizes MV to take all steps necessary to pursue disaffiliation from UMC including hiring of lawyers and participating in litigation.
- MV becomes a member of the NCLL.
- Our Finance committee approves fund raiser “Follow the Path Forward” to begin raising funds for disaffiliation cost.
- Next Steps
- Approximately 130 churches in North Georgia Conference expected to join NCLL action. This includes very large as well as small churches across the conference. This in addition to the 70 churches that disaffiliated from NGC in first round in 2021.
- NCLL is communicating with North Georgia Conference (NGC) requesting that churches in NGC be allowed to proceed with disaffiliation vote as outlined by paragraph 2553. Letter sent Feb 6th. NGC has communicated they will update NCLL by the end of February.
- If NCLL does not receive satisfactory response from NGC then NCLL will likely begin legal action against NGC.
This is a rapidly evolving situation and the Mountain View Path Forward Committee will keep everyone updated as necessary with the latest on the disaffiliation process. Expect some delay in information as well as rapid updates as we work through the process.
Note: Every Sunday after the service, members of the Path Forward Committee will be available in the Sanctuary to answer any questions you may have. We also encourage you to keep yourself informed with the latest updates and past presentations on our web page: http://www.mvumc.org/the-path-forward/
If You Have Questions: Every Sunday after the service, members of the Path Forward Committee will be available in the Sanctuary to answer any questions you may have.
***** Here is the official document produced by the Mountain View Path Forward Team *****
As you may be aware, there is much conversation about some of the current issues that are causing many United Methodist congregations to disaffiliate from the denomination. We seek to determine the best course of action for Mountain View, as we gaze into the future God has in store for us. The purpose is not to persuade, but rather to present the major issues confronting the United Methodist Church. Mountain View’s future will be decided by you, the members.
The Path Forward Task Force is made up of six members, representing a wide spectrum of ages, theological views, and the number of years involved at Mountain View. The members are:
Tanner Adams, Kathy Gregorcyk, Stephanie Herring, Jody Ray, Tim Watkins, Gary Slother (Leader)
On October 2, a guest speaker, Randy Hardy, shared his viewpoints on why we should NOT disaffiliate from the United Methodist Church. Here is the Video of the October 2 session with Randy Hardy
On October 16, a guest speaker, Jeff Jernigan, shared his viewpoints on why we SHOULD disaffiliate from the United Methodist Church. Here is the video of the October 16 session with Jeff Jernigan.
On November 13, the Path Forward team led a short summary of where we currently stand. Here is the ten-minute video from that event.
Here are the documents provided by Randy Hardy -
Reasons NOT to disaffiliate:
Here are the documents provided by Jeff Jernigan -
Reasons TO disaffiliate:
|Document - Things to Consider||Document - Sinking Sand: Why I'm Leaving the United Methodist Church|
|Document - Things to Consider||Document - On Separation, Schism, and Seasons|
|Document - Be UMC - Reasons not to Disaffiliate||Document - Misinformation Abounds|
|Document - Unity: More than Just a Word||Document - More on Misinformation|
|Document - Reasons for Joining the Global Methodist Church|
If you have any questions, we invite and encourage you to submit them before the meetings so we can have time to research to provide the most detailed answer. You can submit questions to .
Resources for the Two Perspectives
Article - The United Methodist Divorce is a Mess
Videos - That We May Be One (a series of short videos)
Website - Thoughts on Remaining with the UMC
Website - StayUMC - What are the Big Concerns?
Article - "Is the UMC Really...?" (article focused on theology)"
Article - "Is the UMC Really...?" (article focused on human sexuality)
Article - "Is the UMC Really...?" (article addressing other questions)
Article - "Is the UMC Really...?" (article addressing additional concerns)
Website and Videos from Adam Hamilton
On Sunday, September 18, we had an informational session about The Path Forward. Click here for the video of that event.
Here are two videos from recent informational sessions at Hillside United Methodist Church in Woodstock:
Video A: The Perspective of Staying within the United Methodist Church
Video B: The Perspective of Disaffiliating from the United Methodist Church
Resources - Why We Should Disaffiliate from the United Methodist Church
Video - Concerns with the United Methodist Church (7 minutes)
Videos - Differences that Divide the UMC (a series of six short videos)
Article - Major Challenges Facing the UMC - part 1
Article - Major Challenges Facing the UMC - part 2
Article - Sinking Sand: Why I'm Leaving
Article - On Separation, Schism, and Seasons
Article - Disaffiliation and the Coming "Drop Dead" Line
Video - Q&A with Bishop Scott Jones of the Texas Annual Conference