Dates for 2017 will be December 2nd-3rd and 8th-9th.
Each year since 1992, Mountain View UMC in Marietta, GA has presented this interactive event to the community. You can walk through the streets of Bethlehem and haggle with the shopkeepers, sign the census and pay your taxes to Caesar Augustus's tax collector. You can also sample the fine dried fruits, enjoy a tasty cup of hot apple cider, and try out the freshly made samples of bread at the bakery. At the end of your journey you will find God's most precious gift. His newborn son will be wrapped in swaddling clothes and found in the stable on the edge of town.
The entire event is free. We do accept donations but that is up to each traveler's own decision.
Reservations are ONLY for the Preschool Morning event.
Important Facts to Know BEFORE You Go
- Nothing is for sale in the city
- All shopkeepers and citizens are volunteers.
- Lost parents should report to synagogue or storyteller's booth to be reunited with their children.
- Pictures are allowed.
- Only service dogs are welcome.
- The hot cider is HOT.
- Handicap parking is available.
- Large groups should call 770-928-0050 for van and bus parking or email
- Porta Potties and restrooms are available
- Comments and Prayer Requests are welcome.
The picture above depicts a typical night in the city. Torches light the streets; shopkeepers show their wares in hopes of raising enough money to pay their taxes. Incense and music fill the air adding to atmosphere that creates a sense of a different time and place.
Would You Like to Help?
This ministry is an outreach and needs prayers for provision, safety, good weather, willing workers, and people to come hear the Good News.
Take cards with you to share with friends. Share information with your friends on Facebook , Instagram, and Twitter Handout cards about our ministry. If you have Bethlehem Walk shirts wear them during November and December.
There many roles where you can participate in Bethlehem Walk. Below is brief description of the needs for each area and forms if you would like to sign-up to volunteer or reserve your groups time for the Friday Morning Performance, if you would like detailed information on the volunteer areas click the more info button below.
Cast, Crew & Volunteers Registration:
- Shopkeepers - Sign-up
- Construction - Sign-up
- Sanctuary - Sign-up
- Kitchen - Sign-up
- Roman Soldiers - Sign-up
- Support Crew - Sign-up
- Nativity - " target="_blank" rel="noopener">Sign-up
Construction - building the bridge, the nativity, and the city. decorating and taking down the city. This crew needs 25-30 people. Clint Rex is the City Engineer and supervises the crews for each task.
Kitchen - feeding up to 240 people takes lots of help.
Sanctuary - 12-18 needed for welcoming guests back to the 21st century.
Shopkeepers - all shops require at least one shopkeeper.
Townspeople - what is a town without people?
Nativity - Mary, Joseph, Shepherds (2 or more), Angels (up to 4), wise men 3-4 are needed each performance
- Clean up nightly 6-8 people nightly to help clean up city and kitchen
- Costumes, make-up and beards-- townspeople, shopkeepers, Roman soldiers, Nativity cast all need help with getting period costumes on appropriately
- Sound and light crew 2-4 each performance
- Cider booth uses 2-3 adults and 4-6 youth
- Hot chocolate for the town- 3-4 people
- Parking -- no costume required 6-8 needed
- Nursery Workers at least 2 adults each evening and possibly 1-2 youth as well.